Valentano

Just a few kilometres away is Valentano, on the watershed between the Bolsena and Latera calderas, famous for its volcanic stone quarries, which characterize the territory with their great colour contrasts from red to black.
The village is accessed by porta Magenta, with a Renaissance look, going through the city walls built during the papacy of Martin V (in 1417). In the village centre we can find the church of S.Giovanni Evangelista, patron saint of Valentano, and the Farnese fortress, created by modifying and enlarging a medieval fortress. It was turned into a palace by Pier Luigi Seniore and currently hosts the Prehistory Museum of Tuscia and the Farnese fortress.

The path continues through the Latera caldera, where many remains dating back to the Neolithic and the Copper Age have been found. In the medieval village of Sala, apart from a few remains of the castle, the only building still standing is the church of S.Maria, probably of Cistercian origins, where remarkable frescoes dating back to the XVI and XVII century have been found and are now kept in the Chigi palace in Farnese. Here starts the Lamone Forest, legendary and thick wood, home of all the brigands of Tuscia, melting pot of stories and legends and nowadays protected by a regional nature reserve. Settled among the myriads of stones created by the streams of volcanic lava, the Lamone Forest covers an area of around 1,800 hectares, marking a long part of the boundary between the regions of Lazio and Tuscany. It mainly consists of several types of oak trees with mushrooms and asparaguses at their feet and is the favourite shelter for all the animals that populate this area.


Digg Del.icio.us Stumbleupon Technorati Wikio Facebook Newsvine Reddit! Twitter

0 comments

Search by label

Last comments about Italy

Partner

destination blogs - blogcatalog blog directory