After the Paglia river valley, the Francigena route climbed up the northern edge of the Volsini volcanic plateau and crossed the town of Acquapendente from both sides. In medieval notes, Acquapendente was called either Hangandaborg (by Nikolaus Munkathvera in the XII century) or Ekependante (by Philip II August of France in 1191).
You can recognize the urban stretch of the via Francigena in the present via Cesare Battisti and via Roma.
At the southern edge of the town the route passed by the basilica of the Holy Sepulchre, which was one of the most important religious destinations on the way to Rome.

The Romanesque church has a Latin cross plan and an interior with nave and two aisles divided by columns. It was probably built at the end of the X century by order of Mathilda from Westfalia and was consecrated in 1149 by the bishop Aldobrandino from Orvieto.
In 1649 it became a cathedral and in 1746 the fa├žade was reconstructed with a baroque style. During the Second World War, the church was seriously damaged and was then largely rebuilt. A XIV century baptismal font is kept in the interior, together with an enamelled terracotta altarpiece
made by Giacomo Beneventano in 1522 and a remarkable wooden choir of the XVII century made by the German ebonist Matthaeus Siler. Below the presbytery lies a wide crypt of the IX century, which is divided into nine naves with crossed vaults held up by 22 columns enriched by sculpted Romanesque capitals. At the centre of the crypt stands a small chapel whose shape, size and orientation imitate the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, as stated by St. Willibald since 725. Inside the chapel, a tabernacle keeps two small white stones which are said to be a piece of the Flagellation column and, therefore, are stained by the blood of Jesus Christ.



Digg Del.icio.us Stumbleupon Technorati Wikio Facebook Newsvine Reddit! Twitter

0 comments

Search by label

Last comments about Italy

Partner

destination blogs - blogcatalog blog directory