After leaving Acquapendente, the route crossed the Campomorino plain up to the edge of the Bolsena lake caldera. It then went down towards the lake shore, passing by the small village of S.Lorenzo alle Grotte, which was abandoned in the XVIII century due to the continuous landslides, but also because the area was infested by malaria.
With the help of the popes Clement XIV and Pius Vi, the village was rebuilt in a higher and more suitable place, where the road leading to Rome crossed the route between the Tyrrhenian coast and the Orvieto area (called at present Provincial Road No. 211 and formerly State Road No. 74).
The project of the new village was entrusted to Francesco Navone, who took inspiration from the Amalienborg quarter in Copenhagen. The works directed by Filippo Prada began in 1772 and lasted until 1779.
The settlement is divided into symmetrical blocks by orthogonal roads running all around an octagonal
square, the opposite sides of which are occupied by the parish church of S.Lorenzo and the small church of the Cappuccini.



Digg Del.icio.us Stumbleupon Technorati Wikio Facebook Newsvine Reddit! Twitter

0 comments

Search by label

Last comments about Italy

Partner

destination blogs - blogcatalog blog directory