Porta Sant'angelo Itinerary - Itineraries in Perugia

  1. Palazzo dei Priori (north façade)
  2. Sala dei Notari (Hall of Notaries)
  3. Palazzo Arcivescovile (Archbishop’s Palace)
  4. Fontana Maggiore
  5. Logge di Braccio
  6. Cathedral of San Lorenzo
  7. Via Maestà delle Volte
  8. Piazza Cavallotti
  9. 13th century aqueduct
  10. Roman mosaic of Santa Elisabetta
  11. Church of San Sebastiano and San Rocco
  12. Church and convent of Montemorcino Nuovo
  13. Former monastery of San Francesco delle Donne
  14. Monastery of San Benedetto dei Condotti
  15. Monastery of Santa Caterina
  16. Former monastery of Sant’Antonio da Padova
  17. Monastery of the Beata Colomba
  18. Arco dello Sperandio
  19. Monastery of Santa Lucia
  20. Monastery of Sant’Agnese
  21. Temple of Sant’Angelo
  22. Keep of Porta Sant’Angelo
  23. San Matteo degli Armeni
  24. Convent of Monteripido
  25. Hospital of the Mercanzia
  26. Convent and church of Sant’Agostino
  27. Oratory of Sant’Agostino
  28. Palazzo Gallenga Stuart
  29. Augustan Arch or Etruscan Arch
  30. Church of San Fortunato
  31. Piazza Danti
  1. Palazzo Dei Priori (north FaÇade) The result of two distinct building periods: the left section, characterised by a series of mullioned windows and an imposing Gothic portal leading to the Sala dei Notari (Hall of Notaries) was built between 1293 and 1297, while the right section, with its triple-arched portico, built on the site of the church of San Severo di Piazza, was added in 1335 ca. The interior was hugely altered during the Church's dominion, and was restored to its original state after 1861. The wide fan-shaped staircase was added in 1902 to replace the two-flight medieval one. Above the portal are bronze copies of the griffin of Perugia and the Guelph lion (the originals, 1271-81, from the fountain by Arnolfo di Cambio, are inside the palazzo). From the massive ledges hang the chains which the Perugian people took from the gates of Siena (after the battle of Torrita in 1358). 
  2. Sala Dei Notari (hall of Notaries) Magnificent hall supported by eight large arches, originally used for the people's assemblies during the Free Commune, in 1582 it became seat of the powerful "Arte dei Notai" association, from which it takes its present name. Only a few fragments remain of the original 13th-14th century frescoes. Most have been painted over or incorporated into the legends, tales, bible stories and coats of arms, including those of the Captains of the People and the Podestà, painted by Matteo Tassi (1885). On the back wall is the coat of arms of Braccio Fortebracci, while along the side walls are 16th century stalls and seats. Totally altered during three centuries of Papal rule, the church was restored to its original state after 1861. At the top of the external staircase is the Sala della Vaccara which houses a fresco painted by Tiberio di Assisi in 1568. Turn right into the square
  3. Palazzo Arcivescovile (archbishop's Palace) It was built on the site of the Palazzo dei Consoli and the adjacent Palazzo del Podestà, which were burned in 1329 and in 1534. The façade was built in 1650, while the portal, featuring a scene painted in perspective, was added in 1788. Proceed towards Fontana Maggiore
  4. Fontana Maggiore One of the most important examples of medieval Italian sculpture (see description p. 24). Built to commemorate the completion of the new aqueduct between 1278 and 1280 by Nicola and Giovanni Pisano, the design was by Fra Bevignate, and the hydraulic project by Boninsegna da Venezia. It is made up of two concentric polygonal basins, mounted on a bronze basin topped with statues of three female figures. The lower basin features bas-reliefs of the twelve months of the year, accompanied by the signs of the zodiac and other allegorical symbols. The upper basin is made up of twenty-four panels divided by religious and allegorical figures.
  5. Logge di Braccio The loggia was commissioned in 1423 by Braccio Fortebracci da Montone, condottiere and lord of Perugia, who had it connected to his nearby residence, which today no longer exists. Said to be the work of Fioravante Fioravanti from Bologna, it preserves four of the five original arches, one partially closed, supported by octagonal columns. Below the first, on the right, are the remains of the base of the bell-tower of the early cathedral, as well as a stretch of wall in Etruscan-Roman travertine blocks. On the left hand wall is the Pietra della Giustizia (Stone of Justice), (the original is in the Palazzo dei Priori), with which the Municipality of Perugia in 1234 declared public debt to be cancelled and ordered citizens to be taxed according to a town census. In addition there are the Perugian foot and "mezza canna" units of measurements.
  6. Cathedral of San Lorenzo Designed around the year 1300 as a replacement for the earlier Romanesque cathedral, building work continued until the end of the following century. The incomplete façade, which gives on to Piazza Dante, is characterised by a baroque portal by Pietro Carattoli (1729). The side which gives on to the fountain, also incomplete, features a portal by Galeazzo Alessi built in 1568, a precious 15th century pulpit and a wooden crucifix by Polidoro Ciburri, placed here during the salt war (1540). The interior, with its characteristic structure, was totally rebuilt and decorated in the 1700s. The chapel of San Bernardino preserves a Deposizione by Federico Barocci (1569). In the chapel of San Giuseppe is the chiselled reliquary of the Santo Anello (or Madonnàs wedding ring) as well as Wicar's copy of Perugino's Sposalizio di Maria, stolen by the French during the Napoleonic period. The windows were made in Perugia in the renowned laboratory of Morettini-Caselli. In the apse is a wooden choir by Giuliano da Maiano and Domenico del Tasso (1491), which was restored after a fire in 1985. The sacristy houses a cycle of paintings of the Martirio di San Lorenzo by Giovanni Antonio Pandolfi (1573-76). Follow the main itinerary along Via Maestà delle Volte, after a visit to the cloisters of San Lorenzo, and the Capitular Museum at No. 8 Piazza IV Novembre
  7. Via MaestÀ Delle Volte In ancient times the street was a narrow passageway covered by the vaults supporting the Palazzo del Podestà, (connecting it to the Canonica), which was destroyed by fire in 1534 and for this reason known as "palazzo abrugiato" (or burned palazzo). On the right is the late 16th century Palazzo del Seminario, which houses the Capitular Museum of San Lorenzo (see description). At the end is the façade of the church of the Maestà delle Volte (1580-90), built over an earlier 14th century Oratory, restored and decorated by Agostino di Duccio in 1440-75, of which some splendid remaining fragments of sculpture are preserved in the National Gallery of Umbria. The dome was decorated by Pomarancio (1568). It now houses business quarters. Go right down the street as far as Piazza Cavallotti
  8. Piazza Cavallotti Named after Felice Cavallotti (1842-98), statesman, garibaldino, and writer. The square has undergone numerous alterations that have totally transformed the architectural style, above all after the demolition, (in 1876), of the 13th century church of Santa Maria degli Aratri and the inauguration of Via Cesare Battisti (1904). Under the square is the archaeological area, open to the public, showing different layers of the city, going back as far as Roman times. Proceed right along Via Baldeschi then left along Via Appia as far as the former aqueduct
  9. 13th Century Acqueduct Five kilometres long, it was built in the 13th century to bring water from Monte Pacciano to the Fontana Maggiore. Work began slowly in 1255 and, under the guidance of Fra Bevignate and Boninsegna da Venezia, was finally completed in 1280. Due to continuous maintenance problems, a new aqueduct was built in 1835. The last stretch of the old aqueduct was transformed into a characteristic terraced footpath above the huge medieval arches. Take the main itinerary along the former aqueduct. Detour: at the bottom of the steps proceed as far as Via Santa Elisabetta and then left as far as the Roman mosaic
  10. Roman Mosaic of Santa Elisabetta One of Perugiàs most important Roman monuments, the remains of a vast hot spring spa from the 2nd century A.d., it was once the site of the church of Santa Elisabetta, later demolished, hence the name. a black and white pattern depicts Orpheus, the mythical Greek songster, as he sits on a rock enchanting the surrounding animals with his lute. Located in the department of Chemistry, in 2005 it became a museum, open to the public during the opening hours of the university. Follow Via San Sebastiano as far as the church by the same name in Via dell'Eremita
  11. Church of San Sebastiano And San Rocco It was erected at the beginning of the 15th century near the shrine of the Madonna della Pace, whose miraculous image is depicted on the high altar. Inside are 17th century frescoes by Pietro Montanini, who also painted the canvas of Sant'Onofrio. Proceed along Via del Pero and return to the main itinerary
  12. Church And Convent of Montemorcino Nuovo The church, designed in 1740 by Luigi Vanvitelli, is adjacent to the huge structure of the former convent, commissioned by the Olivetan fathers from Montemorcino Vecchio, and also designed by Vanvitelli, together with Carlo Murena. In 1811 the Napoleonic government housed the University of Perugia in the convent, which still today houses the rectorship. Particularly interesting are the cloisters, the portico and the adjoining hanging gardens. On the walls of the vast entrance hall to the aula magna, is an important group of casts of Etruscan inscriptions. Proceed along Via Innamorati, then viale Faina and Via Berardi
  13. Former Monastery of San Francesco Delle Donne First Franciscan settlement in Perugia (1212), so called because in 1256 it passed into the hands of the Benedictine sisters of Sant'Angelo del Renaio. In 1815 it became a refuge for destitute young girls. Later used for business purposes, it housed first the Faina spinning mill, hence the remaining chimney stack, then La Salamandra potteries. Since 1996 it has housed a handcrafted textile firm that uses hand looms. It still preserves an important portal, the window of the apse, and the bell-tower. In via del Fagiano, down Via Faina
  14. Monastery of San Benedetto Dei Condotti Thus named because of its proximity to the medieval aqueduct, it was founded in 1421 by the hermit Giovanbattista da Gubbio. It is adjacent to the church that was once named after Santa Maria Novella, restored in the 1600s. The interior boasts rich 15th century and 16th century decorations. The 18th century bell-tower is noteworthy for its brick adornment and the unusual onion-shaped summit. The monastery has two small cloisters. Proceed along Via della Pietra then turn left onto Corso Garibaldi 
  15. Monastery of Santa Caterina Designed by Galeazzo Alessi in the 16th century for the nuns of Santa Giuliana, it was then taken over by the Benedictines of Santa Caterina Vecchia, who settled here in 1649. It became partial state property in the 1800s, before becoming the headquarters of the Saffa match factory in 1902. In the church are frescoes (1718) and paintings by Mattia Batini and Benedetto Bandiera, as well as a 17th century marble tabernacle. a section of the monastery is currently occupied by a cloistered religious order. Continue uphill 
  16. Former Monastery of Sant'antonio da Padova Almost entirely demolished over the centuries, it was rebuilt in 1970 and made into the "Casa della Studentessa" (or Female Students' House). Until 1810 it was home to the Polyptych of Sant'Antonio, commissioned by Ilaria Baglioni, Abbess of the monastery, and painted by Piero della Francesca before 1468. The work of art is today preserved in the National Gallery of Umbria. Continue uphill 
  17. Monastery of The Beata Colomba Inside this simple and austere building is a reconstruction of the cell of the Beata Colomba of Rieti, a Dominican nun who died in Perugia in 1501. The interior features a canvas of Christ carrying the cross, attributed to Giovanni di Pietro, known as "lo Spagna" (early 16th cent.). In the church are decorations by Nicola Giuli and a painting by Francesco Appiani (18th cent.). a plaque outside commemorates the meeting between San Francesco and San Domenico (1220). Currently a cloistered monastery. Follow the main itinerary along Corso Garibaldi. There is a possible detour on the right for the Arco dello Sperandio (No. 18)
  18. Arco Dello Sperandio This minor medieval gate took its name from its closeness to the Benedictine Monastery, also known as the Sperandio, now a private residence. A plaque above the arch commemorates restoration work in 1329. In this area, in 1900, an Etruscan hypogeum was discovered (end 4th-3rd cent. B.c.), which was part of a necropolis used between the 6th and 2nd centuries B.c. Return to main itinerary
  19. Monastery of Santa Lucia Initially a settlement of Augustine nuns, it later (in 1816) incorporated the nearby monastery of Sant'Antonio da Padova. It now houses the Antinori Conservatorio, which, from 1851 to 1970, provided assistance and educational training for young homeless girls, and is now a junior school. Take Via Sant'Agnese
  20. Monastery of Sant'agnese Records show that the monastery already existed in 1318. Occupied first by the Clarissa nuns and then by the Franciscan sisters, inside it preserves a fresco painted by Pietro Perugino in 1522, portraying the Madonna delle Grazie between Saints Antonio Abate and Antonio da Padova with two Franciscan nuns at her feet. In the choir is a fresco said to be the work of Eusebio da San Giorgio (1519). Currently a cloistered monastery. Go back down and take Via del Tempio 
  21. Temple of Sant'angelo The oldest church in the town, it was built in the 5th-6th century. This singular, early Christian circular church features a tent-shaped ceiling on a tambour supported by 16 columns taken from Roman buildings, and a circular peristyle. Visible on the exterior are the 14th century alterations, including the original entrance which was closed up, and the current one with its ogival portal. On the grass in front of the temple is a column taken from Sopramuro (the present day Piazza Matteotti). Descend the steps on the left 
  22. Keep of Sant'angelo The largest of Perugiàs medieval city gates, towering above the northern side of the high road of Porta Sant'Angelo, it is part of the 14th century section of the wall. It has undergone numerous alterations, from the fortifications carried out by Ambrogio Maitani da Siena in 1326, to the addition of the keep in 1479, as well as 20th century restoration work. Now the seat of the Gates and the City Walls Museum, the roof of the tower offers a magnificent view of the town and the surrounding countryside. Continue through the gate
  23. San Matteo Degli Armeni The Church was built around the year 1273 for Armenian monks staying in nearby buildings. Inside are important 13th century frescoes and votive images from the 14th century and 15th century. In the 16th century the building complex became a hospice before being ceded in perpetual lease to the Oddi until 1820. Today the church is under restoration. Ascend via crucis up to the convent of Monteripido
  24. Convent of San Francesco al Monte (known as Monteripido) Initially a Franciscan community, founded at the end of the 13th century, after the building was donated to the brothers of San Francesco al Prato. The sloped entrance is flanked by a terracotta via crucis (1633-36). In 1754 the baroque library, designed by Pietro Carattoli, was added. Home to over 10,000 works, the Napoleonic army was the first to begin its dismantling. Well worthy of note are the cloisters and courtyards, as well as the magnificent view of the town. Return to Corso Garibaldi and descend as far as No. 84. Detour: left along Via del Canerino to the Park of Sant'Angelo for a panoramic view Main itinerary in Corso Garibaldi
  25.  Hospital of The Mercanzia From the 14th century, the entire block, as far as No. 104, belonged to the College of Merchants, one of the most important guilds in the Municipality of Perugia. Once a hospital for the poor, as the inscription above the central entrance shows (1507), it was until recently (1990) a public dormitory. Above the entrance is a stone inscription of the symbol of the College: a griffin above a ball of wool. In the recently restored Sala del Granaio are the traces of early decorations. Continue as far as Piazza Lupattelli
  26. Convent And Church of Sant'agostino Important Augustine settlement established between 1256 and 1260, now a military barracks. The original gothic structure of the church is visible in the lower part of the façade, in pink and white stone. The church was completely rebuilt in the 18th century, while the interior was rebuilt between 1795 and 1803. Well worthy of note are the choir, by Baccio d'Agnolo from Florence (1502), and a wooden Proceed polychrome statue made in the second half of the 14th century. It once housed the Polyptych of Sant'Agostino (1512-23) by Pietro Perugino, subsequently dismantled, and now partially re-assembled at the National Gallery of Umbria.
  27. Oratory of Sant'agostino The oratory belongs to the Confraternita Disciplinata di Sant'Agostino, a lay organisation involved in charity and good-works. The association was inspired by the convent of Sant'Agostino, to which it was connected. The building is made up of two overlying oratories, the lower of which was built and decorated in the 14th century. The upper oratory, built in the mid 16th century and renovated in the 1600s, represents one of the town's most important examples of baroque decoration and ornamentation, with its splendid carved and gilded wooden ceiling (1698) (visible on request, tel. +39 075 5724815). Proceed as far as Piazza Fortebracci
  28. Palazzo Gallenga Stuart Formerly Antinori, donated to the Municipality of Perugia in 1931 and now the seat of the University for Foreigners. It was built between 1740 and 1758 by Pietro Carattoli to a design by Francesco Bianchi. Noteworthy the vestibule and steps with stuccoes and 18th century busts. The back section, including an Aula Magna decorated by Gerardo Dottori, was added between 1935-37. Go left towards Via Ulisse Rocchi 
  29. Augustan Arch or Etruscan Arch a monumental north-facing city gate in the massive Etruscan walls, built in the 3rd century B.c. and flanked by two turrets built on a trapezoidal plan. The words Augusta Perusia, written across the rounded arch, were added by order of Augustus after the war in 40 B.c. which resulted in Perugiàs defeat by Rome. The inscription Colonia Vibia, above the arch, commemorates Vibio Treboniano Gallo, an Emperor from Perugia who granted the town the status of colony. On the left buttress is a 17th century fountain and on the coping is a renaissance loggia. On the left is the church of San Fortunato. Main itinerary along Via Ulisse Rocchi
  30. Church of San Fortunato Probably built in the late Middle Ages, the 17th century façade shows traces of the earlier church. From 1634 it was the seat of the Silvestrini Fathers. Inside are two 17th century gilded wooden altars with statues by Leonardo Scaglia and a painting by Scilla Pecennini, portraying the Madonna with San Fortunato (1585). Return along Via Ulisse Rocchi as far as Piazza Danti
  31. Piazza Danti The square is overlooked by the original façade of the cathedral. Until 1899 known as the "Piazza del Papa" because of the bronze statue of Julius III by Vincenzo Danti, it was named after the artist only after the statue was moved to allow for the passage of electric tramcars. In the Middle Ages the square was the site of a farmers market, as shown by the little bas-reliefs of hands holding ears of corn, sculpted on the corners of Palazzo del Turreno in the direction of Via Bartolo and Via del Sole; it is still today the site of a potters market.

Digg Del.icio.us Stumbleupon Technorati Wikio Facebook Newsvine Reddit! Twitter


Search by label

Last comments about Italy


destination blogs - blogcatalog blog directory