PORTA SOLE ITINERARY - Itineraries Perugia

  1. Palazzetto dei Notari
  2. Church of the Gesù
  3. Loggia dei Lanari and Panoramic Terrace
  4. Via Volte della Pace
  5. Church and convent of San Fiorenzo
  6. Porta di Santa Margherita
  7. Arco dei Gigli (Arch of Lilies)
  8. Church and convent of San Simone del Carmine
  9. Former church and hospital of San Crispino
  10. Church of San Bevignate
  11. Monumental cemetery
  12. Church of Santa Maria Nuova
  13. Convent of Santa Maria Nuova (dei “Serviti”)
  14. Arco dei Tei
  15. Church of Sant’Antonio Abate
  16. Porta (or Cassero) di Sant’Antonio
  17. Medieval workshops
  18. Church of Santa Maria di Monteluce
  19. Panoramic view (Via del Cane)
  20. Former convent of San Tommaso
  21. Church of Sant’Angelo della Pace
  22. Fortress of Porta Sole (ruins)
  23. Palazzo Conestabile della Staffa
  24. Chapel of San Severo
  25. Church of Compagnia della Morte (Company of the Dead)
  26. Etruscan Well
  1. Palazzetto Dei Notari Built in the Gothic style between 1438 and 1446, the triple lancet windows of the façade still preserve the coat of arms of the College of Notaries portraying a griffin on an inkwell. When Via Pinella (now Via Calderini) was constructed in 1591, the left wing of the palazzo was demolished.
  2. Church of The GesÙ Built between 1562 and 1571, the church belonged to the Jesuits until the order was suppressed. In 1775 it was handed over to the Barnabites. The façade was rebuilt in 1934. a unique construction with four overlapping halls, of which the church is the first, while each of the other three represents an Oratory for the Congregations of Noblemen, Craftsmen and Farmers, respectively. Seen from the back (Via Angusta), the four overlapping halls look like a high tower. Inside the church and sacristy are precious works of art in wood and 17th century frescoes by the Genoese painter Andrea Carlone and by Andrea Pozzi. The church was badly damaged by fire in 1989.Main itinerary: left as far as the intersection with Via Volte della Pace. Extra detour on the right: at No. 18, Piazza Matteotti 
  3. Loggia Dei Lanari And Panoramic Terrace 14th century loggia built by the Arte della Lana Association over the centuries old buildings of the so-called Piazza "del Sopramuro", nowadays known as Piazza Matteotti. Subsequently closed, it was only reopened in 1932 when the new town market was built, today the headquarters of the Urp and Iat. Behind the Loggia a wide terrace affords a magnificent view of Monte Subasio and Assisi. End of detour. Return to main itinerary as far as the intersection with Via Volte della Pace 
  4. Via Volte Della Pace Characteristic small covered street, enclosed by the vaults of the buildings above, it once had porticoes overlooking the wide Tiber valley. It follows the curved Etruscan wall on which it lays, and which is visible in many of the little shops in Via Alessi below. The street leads down to Piazza Danti and Piazza Piccinino at Porta Sole (see Nos. 22-26).Alternatively: Proceed along Via Alessi and Via Cartolari and, at the intersection with Via della Viola, take a detour on the right as far as the church and convent of San Fiorenzo 
  5. Church And Convent of San Fiorenzo The first church to commemorate San Fiorenzo was built here in the 8th century. The church first belonged to the Cluniac order (11th century), then the Cistercians (13th century) and finally to the "Serviti" (from 1444). The church, originally built in the Gothic style, was totally altered between 1763 and 1770. It houses the tomb of the great Perugian architect Galeazzo Alessi, who was born and raised in a house nearby. The church is home to a gonfalon by Benedetto Bonfigli (15th century), mannerist frescoes, and a splendid 17th century "Morettini" organ. The Madonna Ansidei by Raffaello, now in London, was once in this church.Proceed along Via Bonaccia 
  6. Porta di Santa Margherita a gate in the medieval wall reopened in 1821, when, in the area just below, the pavilions of theformer provincial lunatic asylum were built, (which now houses schools, university and other public facilities). Just a little further on, in the deep vale of the Santa Margherita ravine, are the sturdy "briglie di Braccio", built in the 15th century by Braccio Fortebracci da Montone to strengthen the hill of Perugia. Take Via Baciadonne as far as Via Imbriani, turn right, then left, before ascending Via della Madonna as far as Via della Viola
  7. Arco Dei Gigli (arch of Lilies) One of the five major gates in the Etruscan walls, it faces north-east. The pointed arch was rebuilt in the Middle Ages, while the piers are still the original travertine blocks. The right hand side of the exterior façade still shows traces of the original Etruscan arch. Its name stems from the lilies of the coat of arms of Paul III Farnese, which decorated the under-arch. End of detour. Descend right to the end of Via del Roscetto 
  8. Church And Convent of San Simone Del Carmine Records from 1285 show this as a parish church, but it already existed in 1233. Altered a number of times over the centuries, it still preserves remains of the original medieval building in the section along Via Abruzzo. The interior houses a monumental organ (1602) with late mannerist style carved figures. The church was once connected to the 14th century convent of the Carmelites (which became state property in 1861). From here it is possible to go towards Porta Pesa and visit Nos. 12, 13, 14 before either proceeding towards Corso Bersaglieri, or continuing on the detour for a further 1.7 kilometres along Via dell'Asilo and Via Enrico dal Pozzo, as far as the church of San Bevignate and the Monumental cemetery (Nos. 9-11) 
  9. Former Church And Hospital of San Crispino The church was built between the 14th and 15th centuries by the Shoemakers' Guild. The hospital of the Guild was added later, maybe even as early as the 1400s, in the 1700s becoming a sanctuary for "sufferers of consumption and lunatics." Walls were never built around this medieval district, known as "Fontenovo", although historic maps clearly show a city gate, which later vanished. Proceed along Via Enrico dal Pozzo 
  10. Church of San Bevignate Built between 1256 and 1262 in local sandstone, it preserves a cycle of important frescoes depicting the history of the Templars, as well as other frescoes portraying events connected to the Flagellants, a religious order founded by Ranieri di Fasano and present throughout Italy in 1260. The church is built in the Romanesque style, like the churches of Monteluce and Montelabate, which were built in the same period. The ceiling was originally trussed before the huge cross vaults were added in 1400.
  11. Monumental Cemetery Inaugurated in 1849 by Bishop Pecci, the future Pope Leo Xiii, it houses funeral monuments in styles that range from the classic to Liberty. Just a little further on is the small 13th century church of Santa Maria delle Grazie di Monterone, rebuilt in the 16th century in a style similar to the church of the Madonna della Luce in Porta Santa Susanna. End of detour, return towards Piazza del Duca
  12. Church of Santa Maria Nuova First recorded in 1285, the church was almost entirely rebuilt in 1568, when the portal and double staircase and fountain were added. At the side of the church there are still an original 14th century portal and two arches. Inside it preserves a 15th century choir, a gonfalon by Benedetto Bonfigli (1471) and a 17th century altar of the "Compagnia degli Ultramontani", a French and German community living in Perugia. The church once housed works by Perugino, now in London and at the National Gallery of Umbria, by the Alunno, by Fiorenzo di Lorenzo, and by Giannicola di Paolo, now at the Louvre. The bell-tower, added in 1644, perhaps to a design by Galeazzo Alessi, is visible from the adjacent convent. 
  13. Convent of Santa Maria Nuova (dei "serviti") Built after 1540 to replace the earlier church of Santa Maria dei Servi in Porta Eburnea, demolished to make room for the Rocca Paolina, and of which only the columns of the cloisters remain, (in No. 87, Via Pinturicchio). The convent, together with the church, was involved in the ordeals of the Porta Sole fortress, built and then demolished during the 14th century. It became state property after 1861. At number 21, Via del Roscetto, is the prestigious Oratory of San Benedetto, built by Valentino Martelli in the mannerist style in 1598, and decorated by Salvucci in 1610.
  14. Arco Dei Tei Together with the arch of Santa Elisabetta in the Porta Sant'Angelo district, it is part of an early city wall, outside the Etruscan city limits, probably built in the 12th-13th century, and called Porta Pesa. The area adjacent to the arch is known as Porta Pesa (or Weighing Gate), because from the early 1900s it was home to a toll barrier. Proceed along corso Bersaglieri
  15. Church of Sant'antonio Abate Already a parish church in 1285, it achieved its present day appearance in 1624-25, when alterations were commissioned by the Olivetan Fathers. Inside is an organ by Michele Buti (1665) and a fresco by Gerardo Dottori (1930 ca). The church also preserves an antique crypt. Like many others built on the outskirts of the respective districts, this convent marks the city limits on this side of the town. The exterior features a brick pig (15th cent.) above a drum of Roman columns, related to the worship of Sant'Antonio Abate, the patron saint of the countryside, animals and farmers. On market days the latter would enter the town by the nearby city gate.
  16. Porta (or Cassero) di Sant'antonio Opened in 1374 in the remains of the Fortress of Porta Sole, it replaced an earlier existing gate (1273) in the medieval walls of the north side of the town. The exterior brick walls are 16th century fortifications. It is here that the Piedmont army entered the town in 1859 and liberated Perugia from the Church. Just a little further on, in Via Pompili, the important Etruscan tomb of the Cutu was discovered in 1983. The tomb is now in the Archaeological Museum. Proceed along via Cialdini
  17. Medieval Workshops The remains of ancient workshops, with sandstone surrounds, overlook the street which connected the town centre to Monteluce. Maps show that in ancient times this area was covered in forest until, in the year 1000, it became the site of permanent settlements, which gradually spread outside the city walls as the workshops demonstrate.
  18. Church of Santa Maria di Monteluce Now a parish church, it was once attached to the convent that housed the Benedictine nuns who settled here in the 13th century, followed by Franciscans or Clarisse nuns, before becoming state property with the unification of Italy in 1861. Now totally transformed, from 1927 onwards the convent housed the town hospital, which moved here from its old headquarters in Via Oberdan, before expanding during the 20th century and finally transferring to Sant'Andrea delle Fratte, now the main town hospital complex. The façade of the church, characterised by red marble panels within white squares, was built in 1451. Also of this period is the double portal with 16th century wooden doors. Inside is an important cycle of Perugian mannerist frescoes. Behind the apse is a Gothic room with 14th century frescoes by the Umbria-Siena school. Return half-way down Corso Bersaglieri, and turn right on Via del Cane
  19. Panoramic View (via Del Cane) Opening in the ancient city walls, created in 1968, overlooking the medieval district of Porta Sant'Angelo, topped by the early Christian circular temple by the same name. Lower down on the left is the huge Palazzo Gallenga, seat of the University for Foreigners. There are no modern urban developments on this side of the town since the area is particularly steep and what's more faces north. Go left along the city walls
  20. Former Convent of San Tommaso Documented in 1274, it passed from the Cistercian to the Dominican nuns in the mid 16th century. Hugely altered after becoming property of the state in 1861, it still preserves the original interior cloisters and portico (entrance at number 66 Via Pinturicchio) and the brick bell-tower. The church is deconsecrated. The structure housed a manufacturing company until 1912. The rear of the former convent, in Via del Melo number 34, now houses the headquarters of the Post (Perugia Science and Technology Workshop), an inter-active exhibition area equipped with entertaining installations that give visitors the chance to experiment a number of natural phenomena through play (tel. +39 075 5736501, www.perugiapost.it). Go through the gate as far as Via Pinturicchio; turn right, then go left down Via della Volpe before ascending the steep climb of Via Scoscesa and Via delle Prome
  21. Church of Sant'angelo Della Pace Commissioned in the 16th century by Cardinal Tiberio Crispo, it was built over an earlier existing loggia. Its name originates from the "peace" imposed by Pope Paul III Farnese following the 'salt war', (1540), and the town's defeat. From the 1500s until 1812, the building adjacent to the church housed the Drawing Academy, forerunner of the present day Fine Arts Academy. 
  22. Fortress of Porta Sole (ruins) a mighty military structure commissioned by the Abbot of Monmaggiore and built by Matteo di Gattapone in 1373. It connected the cathedral to the keep of Sant'Antonio and Porta di San Matteo, which no longer exists, located half way along Corso Garibaldi. It occupied, and totally disrupted, the area of the Etruscan acropolis. Razed to the ground by a popular uprising in 1375, all that remain are traces of the mighty arches supporting Piazzetta delle Prome. On the left is the district of Porta Sant'Angelo, on the right Monteluce. This area offers one of the most interesting views of the town, probably the most authentic. The farmlands below create a natural division between the acropolis and the medieval districts of the town.
  23. Palazzo Conestabile Della Staffa Built between 1628 and 1629. During the second half of the 1800s it was the residence of Princess Maria Valentini Bonaparte, who made it the very hub of the town's cultural scenario. Inside are frescoes by Giovanni Andrea Carlone (17th cent.) and Felice Giani (18th-19th cent.). The palazzo is now the seat of the August Communal Library, founded in 1582 by Prospero Podiani. It preserves 300,000 works, including 3,325 manuscripts, 1,326 incunabula, 645 Aldine editions and 16,550 16th-century editions, as well as a precious collection of antique maps. Go left as far as Piazza Michelotti, then proceed along Via dell'Aquila
  24. Chapel of San Severo First built in the 15th century, it survived the restoration (18th cent.) of the adjacent church and convent of the Camaldolesi, who settled here in the 11th century. The church is home to a fresco, the upper part of which portrays a Trinity painted by Raffaello between 1505 and 1508, the only one of this painter's works left in Perugia. The Saints in the lower part of the fresco were painted by Perugino, who completed the fresco in 1521. Descend along Via Raffaello as far as Via Bontempi, then go right to Piazza Piccinino
  25. Church of The Compagnia Della Morte (company of The Dead) The Company, founded in 1570 to provide decent burial for the poor, started the church in 1575. Designed by Bino Sozi, building work continued beyond the 17th century. The interior features a Greek cross vault, renovated in the 1700s, and preserves paintings and stuccoes by Francesco Busti, Cristoforo Gasperi and Anton Maria Garbi (18th cent.). The mannerist style portal was built in 1606. Proceed as far as Piazza Danti
  26. Etruscan Well 37 metres deep and 5.60 wide, it was probably first devised as a cistern, before later being used to collect water from the underground springs. Built in the same period as the Etruscan walls, (3rd century B.c.), the well, intended for public use, was accessible from the well-curb in Piazza Piccinino and was similar to other wells present in various parts of the Etruscan acropolis. It features a singular and sturdy trussed roof, made up of five monolithic blocks.

Digg Del.icio.us Stumbleupon Technorati Wikio Facebook Newsvine Reddit! Twitter


Search by label

Last comments about Italy


destination blogs - blogcatalog blog directory