The Celestine Abbey in Umbria

The Celestine AbbeyThe Celestine Abbey, situated among the hills on the Tiber valley, already existed in 1109, when, known as San Paolo of Valdiponte, it was used as a Benedictine monastery. Between the XIIIth and the first half of the XIVth centuries, at its apogee, the abbey gave hospitality to about ten monks.
The tempera painting on wood representing the Virgin Mary and the Infant Jesus, Saint Paul, Saint Peter Celestine and the angels, dates back to the XIVth century and it has been preserved in the National Gallery of Umbria in Perugia since 1863. The presence in the painting of Saint Peter Celestine, who is the hermit Peter from Morrone, become then the Pope Celestine v, explains the name given to the abbey. The attribute "celestine" (light blue) is related to the colour of the monks' clothes too. Since the beginning of the XIXth century, the abbey, no more monks living there, started its decline.
After the Unity of Italy this abbey, like other ones, became first public then private property. In the Seventies an English family bought it and started the great restoration of the ruins. Today we can admire the abbey walls with two aisles, each ending with an apse, the cloister and the bell-tower.

Where?

Comune di Perugia 28 June 2009
foto di Roberto Brencio from Panoramio


Digg Del.icio.us Stumbleupon Technorati Wikio Facebook Newsvine Reddit! Twitter

0 comments

Search by label

Last comments about Italy

Partner

destination blogs - blogcatalog blog directory